No 1 Son and I are going to be spending a few days in St Petersburg at the end of June, and we’re both very excited – it’s somewhere we’ve always wanted to visit, him because of the history, and me because of the architecture, art, ballet and all those Christmases spent watching Dr Zhivago as a child. In fact, like Vietnam, which I was able to experience for the first time last November, Russia is somewhere I’ve wanted to visit for years.
But even though I’ve done a lot of travelling, there are so many places I still want to visit. I don’t really like the term ‘bucket list’ and places to see before you die – I much prefer the concept of the wanderlust wishlist. So here, in no particular order, are the places I intend to visit over the next couple of years. Do feel free to add your own.
1. Africa. I’m a bit obsessed with the idea of visiting Africa – I’d love to see Table Mountain of course but mostly because I want to see animals in the wild, particularly big cats, but also elephants.
2. Brazil. I would love to visit Rio – particularly at Carnival time – and then explore the Amazon.
3. Japan. I’ve always been fascinated by Japanese culture (I even studied Japanese for a year at uni, although this wasn’t my finest hour *cough*). I want to visit Tokyo, and see Mount Fuji, and take the bullet train, and I’d love to see the cherry blossom.
4. Northern Ireland. Given all the times I’ve visited Eire I’m ashamed that I haven’t been to Northern Ireland yet and I really want to see the Giant’s Causeway.
5. China. Another Asian country that intrigues me – of course I’d love to see the sights including the Great Wall of China, but I also really want to see the pandas at Chengdu.
Better start saving 😉
[…] on a Baltic cruise. We started off in Stockholm, and visited Helsinki before spending two days in St Petersburg, Russia; then it was on to Tallinn, Estonia, before flying home from […]
Love seeing where people dream of going. I recently did a post on my Top 5 wishlist and I hope to tick at least one off this year. We share Japan and Africa (for me Zanzibar and Ethiopia) – also have Istanbul and Beirut. Brazil is wonderful though I was in the north – had planned on popping to Rio but it was a 12 hour drive away – somehow forget Brazil is the 5th largest country in the world!
You will love St Petersburg. Extremely cultural. I lived in Kiev for 4 years as a teenager as my father was a diplomat and we used to visit St Petersburg a lot. It is so much nicer than Moscow. Brings back some amazing memories. Kiev is lovely too. Their food markets are just to die for!
I would love to go to Sicily this summer, New York in autumn and Lapland in winter.
I’d love to go to Japan too it seems really interesting
These are the places I would love to go
Iceland – I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights
New York – can’t believe I have never been!
Rome and Sorrento – I have always wanted to visit Pompeii